CALCUP 3

July 8. 2017

Results:http://www.calcupevents.com/Results/2017/2017%20Cal%20Cup%20July.html
Photos: 

Calcup 3 started windy and finished even windier!

I started well with a good lead at the first windward mark but lost it downwind while I was looking for the leeward mark. I recovered a bit in the last upwind to finish the first race in second place behind Tom Purcell.
The next race was a different course with two laps and a gate downwind at the end of the first lap. I think that course suited my foil and I won comfortably.
I also won the third race although by a small margin as the Formulas of Tom and Eric were catching up downwind. 
The fourth race was again course 3 (the same as race 2) and I won this one by a good margin.
The last race was over the top of the pier and back.
The wind was blowing about 26 mph at the top of the pier.
Chris Radkowski was going really well upwind but I tacked early and made it to the top of the pier.
I was really overpowered at that point!
Downwind, I was fully sheeted out at times trying not to breach.
In the end I won that last race with a good margin.
That was a momentous occasion!
It was the first time a foil had won a Calcup .
A huge thank you to the Berkeley Yacht Club and the volunteers for running the event!